Standing in line.

So I was standing in line the other night at Little Caesar's Pizza, picking up dinner for the kids and me.

"Line" consisted of me and the woman in front of me.

As luck would have it, rather than ordering one of the ready-to-go $5 cheese or pepperoni pizzas, she had a custom order. I could tell that she was making it up as she went along – "Do you have...mmm... cumquats? How about jujubees? Styrofoam?" – so it was taking absolutely forever.

Okay, she didn't really ask for cumquats, jujubees or styrofoam, but honestly, she was dithering far more than is acceptable by me when I'm hungry and in a hurry.

So I'm standing behind Ms. Indecisive, and I realize I'm tapping my foot in annoyance. I say to myself, "No, self. This isn't the way. Just relax. She's not being slow on purpose and it's not doing any good to get annoyed." and then, for the life of me I don't know where this came from, I thought, "She's probably someone's little dumpling."

What?!

The thought was so unexpected – darn you sneaky brain! – that I couldn't help but smile and my foot stopped tapping and everything.

An hour or so later when it was my turn to order I was done and out the door in less time than it took the dumpling to decide on one topping.

My point? There's no point that I know of. Except, perhaps, when you're being annoyed by someone try to picture them as someone's little dumpling. Just be sure to stop the thought there before it can cause mental harm and anguish.

Comments

Popular Posts