Half-Assed Comic #6 : Zombies! Why do I love them so?






Wordy and time consuming. This one took two nights to finish (partly because I got halfway and then had writer's block). I'm going to try something new with the next one. It *should* be done by the end of the week.

Edited 3/24: I just found out (via Boing Boing) that you can now legally download the entire 'Night of the Living Dead' film here at archive.org.

(Alternate text for search engines) Zombies! Why do I Love Them So? I think it goes back to my childhood, like most things. When I was 9 years old(ish) I was flipping through the channels (all 3 of them) when I came across an old black & white movie with erie music in the background. Of course I stopped there and started to watch. A few minutes into it and I got the shock of my young life! A mutilated old lady at the top of a set of stairs! Scared me crapless! (I swear it was looking at me!) I found out later that the movie was the classic film 'Night of the Living Dead' (I didn't finish watching it that night) I didn't see the entire movie until much later in my life, and although the body on the stairs wasn't nearly as scary that time around, there was a slight tingle of fear still there. And I think that's the key to why I like zombies... They can scare me. I'm not especially hard to scare, but stuff like the 'Nightmare', 'Halloween', 'Hellrazer' & 'Friday the 13th' series of movies can't scare me the same way a good zombie movie can. And that's the thing. It has to be a good zombie movie. I've seen crappy zombie movies (Children Shouldn't Play With Dead things) & decent zombie movies (The Romero 'Dead' trilogy). Most of the zombie movies I've seen were on VHS or DVD mainly since there aren't very many made these days that aren't crap. There have only been three exceptions that I can think of offhand: Resident Evil: Not a bad movie, but it could have been better. I will see the sequel. 28 Days Later: now this I really liked. Technically not a zombie film, but it has the same feel. & most recently the remake of 'Dawn of the Dead'. I've heard some critics panning it because it doesn't live up to the original. To that I say "Phhhbbblllttt!" Taken as just a zombie film, it's a lot of fun, and has quite a few 'tingle' moments. I recommend it. See it on the big screen.

Comments

Popular Posts