The shame

Okay, I'm a worthless, lying, punk bastard. There is no pic of the week today. I spent the entire weekend either watching movies or playing games with my son and daughter. At 7-ish on Sunday night I grabbed my sketchbook and sat down to draw.

See, here's the thing. Derek can sketch anything at any time without any problem. It's a habit he got into at a young age. I can't. Or at least I don't feel like I can, which amounts to the same thing. The way I work is, if I don't already have something in mind, I sketch something at random and if I like how it looks I go from there.

I started one sketch that was turning out pretty decent, but then I messed up on a key part of it, didn't have an eraser handy, so I flipped the page and started something different. That one I didn't mess up on, I just didn't like the direction it was going. It looked a bit like GIR from 'Invader Zim', and I knew that at least one of my many readers would comment on the similarity. So I said, "Screw this." to myself and spent the remainder of the evening playing 'R•Type Final' with my son.

So, I figure I should shoot for a more realistic goal. At least once a week (Monday through Sunday) I will post a picture of some kind. It may be a photo, it may be a sketch, or it may be a finished illustration. But it will be something. And if I can stick to that I will build from there.

On the plus side, one of the movies I watched this weekend was a DVD I got for my birthday called 'American Splendor'. Excellent movie. It ranks high enough that it would be one of the last DVDs I'll willingly part with. You should check it out, although I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

I also tried to watch 'Lost in Translation' this weekend. I say "try" because at the layer change my DVD player decided to develop attention deficit disorder. If it wasn't breaking up into fragments it was skipping ahead. So, that sucks. It was a good film up until then.

Comments

Popular Posts