My brain is in the cupboard

"Hi. I'm on vacation right now, but if you leave your name and number at the beep I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

Actually, I really needed this vacation. I'm not going anywhere or doing anything of importance. That's pretty much the way all of my vacations have been since I got out of the Air Force. I use them to try to unwind and recharge so that I can make it to my next vacation.

Derek gives me crap about it, saying that I really need to go somewhere or do something. Like Las Vegas. Or England. Or anywhere but here. The problem with that is I'm a bit of an obsessive person and when I travel I constantly worry about what may go wrong. Not just wondering if the plane will crash. More like wondering what I will do if I miss the plane, or something's wrong with the reservation, or I lose my luggage, or my kids, etc. ad nauseam. I will be wound as tight as a watch (explain THAT to a kid these days, "Wind a watch? Are you high?") for several days before the vacation began until I got home, assuming I got home. So he calls my do nothing, recharging vacations a "Collin vacation." What can I say? They usually work for me and they don't break my wallet.

I say "usually" because this time it doesn't seem to be working. Technically, this was the first day of the vacation, even though it's the fourth day I've been away from work. I have been able to take my kids to the park to play every day so far, and we went to see 'Shrek 2' today, which was a fun movie.

But tonight my son asked me if I was happy. He said that it seems like I'm never happy and I'm never smiling and it makes him depressed. I really didn't know what to say at first. I'm not happy. However, I told him that he shouldn't worry about me. I have a lot of things on my mind these days but it won't always be like this. then we played "roll the big ball around the living room like lunatics"®™∞ with Jordyn and we were all laughing by the end of it.

So, I don't know. We'll see how it goes as the week rolls on. I have five words that I'll be posting tomorrow morning-ish, for anyone interested in playing another round of storytelling. Shall we keep it to one story per person, or shall we allow people to post as many as they want and vote on the best one?

Oh yeah, one thing that did make me smile this morning. One of the local ambulance chasers had a commercial on where the person he "helped" win big cash and prizes led off with the following: "I got injured on the job laying pipe." Hehehe. I know for a fact that I could not have served on that jury.

*BEEEEP*

Comments

Popular Posts