Illustration Friday: 2006.02.24 - "Tea"

(IF #449)

This week, I decided to try out a variation of the cut-paper technique that I've been using for every IF word since I started. In fact, it's a combination of the technique that I used for the "monster re-draw" project and cut-paper. I think it turned out rather well, although it took up a big chunk of the weekend. As usual all pictures are clickable links to larger versions.



Heather was so enthusiastic about this design that I decided to add it to my CafePress store as well: Direct link.

Another reason I added it is, since I'm now having to pay a monthly fee for my store, it would be nice if I could sell enough per month that it wouldn't actually cost me anything. Here's hoping.

For those interested in a deconstructed view, here are three stages of development that "Tea?" went through:



Stage 1: At this point I was planning on working entirely in black & white. I also, with the exception of the head, sketched everything out in advance.



Stage 2: Most of the shapes have been dropped in, with the exception of the cat. I've also added a spot of color in the splashing tea and in the word balloon. This is when I really started to kick over the thoughts about doing it in color.



Stage 3: Much like the bigger chunk of The Wizard of Oz, I decided to switch to color. The fellow with the big hat is mostly finished at this point, however I realized that his right leg was just wrong. Oh, sure, there's probably lots wrong, starting with the hands, but the leg was unacceptably wrong. So I fixed it to my satisfaction for the final.

Annnnd here's one as just the cut-paper shapes:



And one as just the lines:



Golly gee what fun, eh?


As ususal, even after it's "done", there are things I would like to change or add. I could pick at it for a month and still not be entirely happy.

Tomorrow I hope to have my six-year-old daughter's drawing of "Tea" to share. I also had another idea for "Tea" that I planned on making, however I had a request from the art director at Dark Recesses waiting for me this morning asking if I could illustrate a story for the next issue by Friday. I said I could. Now I have to see if I can.

Comments

Pat Angello said…
I can't believe you have no comments on this yet. It's absolutely incredible!
Anonymous said…
Yeah, what Pat said, but with a few more exclamation points.
milanrubio said…
great illo, thanks for sharing th e process. Love that scribbling style.
awesome techinique on the top one, greatto see your other versions too.
Derek Knight said…
you are an illustration God. I have no choice but to bow to your obvious superiority (also: might).
Unknown said…
very cool illo! WIcked!
gudbrandsdottir said…
So cool, great to see the process for this!
valerie walsh said…
Collin this is so wonderful! Watching you go through the layers is similar to printmaking. I have always been intimadated by he computer process but you helped me to see it more clearly.Love this!!!
HARDWAX said…
Wonderful stuff, imagination out the Wahzoo.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for showing the process. I was just going to ask you how you do it. I really like your cut paper drawings.
Conqueress said…
Okay, this one I must have! I'll be shopping as soon as I get my paycheck. Absolutely awesome!
Ellen said…
Fabulous,fabulous,FABULOUS!
Anonymous said…
SUPERB! Thanks for showing your process and excellent result!
Tony Sarrecchia said…
Great job. Thanks for sharing the process.
boo said…
Love that pic!... very very good!... makes me want to have TEA!...
Unknown said…
Great pic, cool style, and I love the step-by-step. I'm not sure I followed everything right, but then I suspect your software works a bit different than mine. :-P

Congrats on the illustrating request!

Popular Posts