Ask not for whom the phone rings.

I talked to my daughter on the phone a few minutes ago:

she: "Guess what?"

me: "What?"

she: "Chicken butt! (laughter)" She's been doing that for AGES now, thanks to my sister.

me: "I knew you were going to say that."

she: "I just made up a new joke but you don't want to hear it."

me: "Oh? You may be right." I was thinking as I said it that I wasn't being especially supportive with her creative endeavors and that I should just grit my teeth and say, "tell me your new joke sweetie." and let it fall where it may. Don't want to damage her ego unnecessarily.

she: "It's like the fifth or fourth joke I've ever made up, but you won't like it." She does that. Uses her numbers backwards. Is that a good sign or a bad sign? I don't know but there seems to be no fixing her.

me: "Um. So. What is your new joke?" I ask with much hesitation.

she: "You can hear it if you want to, but you'll be disgusted! (lots of laughter, woo-golly good times ahead)"

But her mother made her say goodbye before I got to hear the joke. I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, but I'm guessing it has something to do with either "poop" or "farts" or SOME combination thereof, for that IS the pinnacle of humor in her mind these days. That and chicken butts.

Comments

Popular Posts